bpost's project aims to replace all water fountains and vending machines for hot and cold drinks and snacks. The company would like to install new machines that are energy-efficient and produce less waste. It also wants the vending machines to sell healthy, local products.
The project contributes to a more circular economy by focusing on two main objectives:
1. Reduce energy consumption. bpost believes this could be achieved by using energy-efficient cooling techniques, turning off machines at night/during weekends and holidays, installing smart meters and reducing the use of lighting.
2. Reduce waste in several different areas:
- Plastics: minimise single use plastics (such as cups and stir sticks).
- Packaging: reduce the amount of packaging used throughout the supply chain for transport and filling.
- End of life of coffee grounds: the grounds should be collected separately so that this waste stream can be recovered and re-used.
- Older machines: should be refurbished and upgraded.
Main activity field:
In addition to having a positive environmental impact in terms of waste and energy, the projects aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Use the vending machines as a communication tool, for instance developing health programmes (in conjunction with healthcare services)
- Increase employee satisfaction by offering a wide range of products and services
- Optimise costs.