Today, 76% of glass packaging placed on the EU market is collected for recycling. Close the Glass Loop is a bottom-up, collaborative, public-private partnership aimed to unite the glass collection and recycling value chain, and to establish a material stewardship programme that will result in more bottle-to-bottle recycling.
Close the Glass Loop wants to achieve an average of 90% collection rate of used glass packaging at EU level by 2030 and a better quality of recycled glass. It is bringing the whole value chain together - from the glass producer, to the brand owner and the filler, to the consumer and glass treater via the EPR and Waste Management Schemes, as well as collectors and municipalities - at European and national level with a common goal.
- Promote selective collection of glass packaging to increase the quality of untreated cullet
- Optimise and develop sorting and treating systems to increase yields, even from poor collection systems and generate more furnace-ready cullet and
- Exchange knowledge and best practice in the collection, sorting and treatment systems between countries.
Main activity field:
Close the Glass Loop aims to meet the following objectives:
- Better quality of recycled glass, so that more recycled content can be used in a new production loop
- 90% collection rate of used glass packaging in the EU by 2030 (up from the current average of 76%)
They will be achieved via:
- Circularity & Innovation: to address structural challenges in the glass collection-recycling chain, common to a vast majority of EU countries
- Coordination of National Platforms: to support the development of national action plans and facilitate the coordination and exchange of information between the leaders of national platforms and action plans
- Communication & Awareness-Raising: to promote best practices that improve glass collection & recycling at EU member state level.