The international ReCreate project aims to discover how used precast concrete elements can be deconstructed without damaging them to be reused in new buildings and how to turn the process into a profitable business.
Recreate's main objective is to close the loop for concrete at the highest level of utilization by facilitating the deconstruction and reuse of precast structural components. The idea is to improve the technical and economic viability of the deconstruction of precast concrete structures that have not been designed for deconstruction.
ReCreate pushes towards circular construction by investigating the systemic changes needed in the whole ecosystems of construction and demolition. The idea is to pilot deconstruction and reuse towards maturity as a socio-technical system.
Main activity field:
Main objectives and results:
- Unlock unexploited or underexploited raw materials and improve circularity, close material cycles
- Improve economic viability, market potential and value creation
- Improve health, safety and environmental performance
- Improve material and value recovery rate via wider application of smart techniques and procedures
- Push EU to the forefront of technology through generated know-how
- ReCreate contributes to several of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- SDG 9 (Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation),
- SDG 11 (Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable),
- SDG 13 (Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts).