The idea of producing eyewear from marine plastic comes from SEA2SEE, a Spanish firm willing to reduce maritime pollution. SEA2SEE, based in Catalonia, designs and produces optical frames and sunglasses in Italy, as well as watches in Switzerland, entirely made from recycled marine plastic collected by fishermen in Spain, France and West Africa.
SEA2SEE is the first eyewear brand manufactured with UPSEA™ recycled plastic. It has obtained the Cradle to Cradle Gold certification. The Cradle to Cradle Certified Products Programme is the world's most advanced, science-based standard for designing and making products for the Circular Economy. It acknowledges continuous improvement and innovation of products and processes toward the goal of being not just "less bad" but also better for people and the planet.
At SEA2SEE they have committed themselves to PETA, meaning that they do not to use products of animal origin in their production and, as a result, they have received the PETA-APPROVED VEGAN label for their entire collection.
Main activity field:
- SEA2SEE actively contributes to 6 of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals
- In 2020 it recovered 112 000 kg of plastic waste and prevented it from decomposing in the oceans
- It is currently increasing by 200% the income of 500 families of fishermen involved in the collection of plastic on coastal areas
- It ensures circular production patterns and changes consumption habits by bringing 100% upcycled and eco-friendly products to be global
- By using UPSEA™ recycled raw material, it produces 30 % to 80 % less carbon footprints, less water, and consumes no petrol
- Thanks to all partners involved in the trasformation of waste to products, SEA2SEE is able to prove that circular economy is possible, even in the fashion industry.