Summary of the pledge
EuPC, as the European Federation of plastics converters, pledges to consolidate per polymer type and register at EU and national level all recycled polymers used by plastics converters in different markets through all our 50 membership organisations, value chain partnerships, networks and our industry crowdsourcing platform MORE to reach the goal of 10 million T of use of recycled plastics between 2025 and 2030.
This pledge is conditional upon five conditions to be met by 2025:
1. The EU Single Use Plastics Directive implementation will not have negatively impacted the plastics waste volumes available for recycling or it will not have stopped innovation in specific polymer types towards e.g. chemical recycling;
2. The EU waste directives will be fully implemented by Members states in order to ensure appropriate levels of improved collection and sorting of plastics waste;
3. A plastics waste landfill ban will be fully implemented at all national levels in order to enhance more plastics waste towards sorting & recycling infrastructures;
4. Quality requirements and reproducibility of recycled polymers from lot to lot for converters will be matched by the plastics recyclers in order to guarantee the same level of product quality and safety requirements in additional markets;
5. Food Contact, REACH or POPs regulations will ensure a smooth transition towards increased safely use of recycled polymers taking into account risk base measures.