Longstanding research on wood cascading has identified a variety of factors to enable more efficient, circular use of forest-based products in Europe.
This paper finds that two of the most critical barriers to wood cascading are:
- Competition between energy and material uses of waste wood in policy, market and infrastructure
- Inadequate information on and low quality of waste wood, including pollutant content.
It makes the following recommendations for policies and business:
- Redesign production processes to deal with contamination and increase quality
- Coordinate energy and waste policies
- Advance reporting standards about material composition of bioproducts
- Explore the best forms of involvement, awareness raising, communication and policies.