The EU Textiles Strategy in Motion - What does it mean for the future of this sector?
In March 2022, the European Commission released its EU strategy for sustainable and circular textiles within the Circular Economy Action Plan. The strategy aims at setting a framework to boost the competitiveness, sustainability and resilience of the EU textile sector.
Six months after its release, the Textiles Strategy will be closely scrutinised and views on its implementation from various political levels will be known. Come and hear from EU policy makers, including the European Commission, the European Parliament, the EESC and frontrunner national representatives, how they envisage the implementation of this Strategy and its next steps.
This workshop on 26 September, 14:30 - 16:00 CEST was an opportunity to discuss the strategy’s implementation based on its Vision towards the current textile industry: offering longer lasting, recyclable but also affordable and high quality textile products while developing economically profitable re-use and repair services, in a competitive, resilient and innovative textiles sector.
Moderator: Valeria Botta, Head of Nature Protection & Restoration, ECOS
14:30 - 14:40 Opening
14:40 - 15:40 Panel discussion
- Maria Rincon-Lievana, European Commission, DG Environment
- Delara Burkhardt, MEP (S&D)
- Saskia Bricmont, MEP (Greens/EFA)
- Sarianne Tikkanen, Senior Specialist on Circular Economy, Ministry of Environment, Finland
- Marije Slump, Policy officer circular economy, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, Netherlands
15:40 - 15:55 Q&A
15:55 - 16:00 Closing
- Jana Žůrková, RREUSE, Textile Leadership Group Coordinator