HNST - Radically different denim (recycled denim fibres)
In September 2017, HNST (pronounce as “honest”) had a collection campaign where people could drop off their old and unworn denims at more than 80 collecting points in Flanders (Belgium). In two weeks time, more than 6000 old pair of denims were collected and sorted out by social economy. Approximately 50% of the collected jeans were not suitable for reuse and shredded and recycled in Germany. These fibres were mixed with processed and made back into yarn in Flanders. This yarn was used to weave the HNST denim fabric made out of 56% recycled denim fibres. TIn March 2018, HNST launched its first denim collection made in Europe out of 56% recycled denim fibres and designed according to the circular economy principles.
Main activity field
Identified challenge (s)
- Except for the buttons and zipper, all used materials are renewable;
- Denim fabric made out of 56% recycled denim;
- Pocket fabric made out of 20% recycled white T-shirts;
- Reusable and replaceable buttons;
- No hazardous substances or heavy metals used in the dyeing and finishing process, complying with the Greenpeace Detox guidelines;
- With every purchase customers receive a spray to refresh the jeans without having to put it in the laundry. This spray is made from probiotics and completely natural.