Call for contributions! First Global Survey on Localising the Blue Economy
The OECD survey on Localising the Blue Economy. Towards a Resilient, Inclusive, Sustainable and Circular approach to the blue economy in cities and regions has been developed as part of the project Cities and Regions for a Blue Economy run by the OECD Water Governance Programme within the OECD Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs, Regions and Cities (CFE).
The project advocates for a localised approach to the blue economy, in which local and national governments and stakeholders share the task of implementing a Resilient, Inclusive, Sustainable and Circular (RISC-proof) blue economy through good governance at the right scale. It involves both coastal and inland cities in which a significant share of economic activity depends on oceans, seas, deltas, rivers and lakes.
- To build knowledge on the scope and state of play of the blue economy in cities and regions, including the main drivers, challenges, threats and impacts of the blue economy at local level, and formal blue economy initiatives across levels of government
- To identify the governance landscape of the resilient, inclusive, sustainable and circular (RISC-proof) blue economy across levels of government
- To inventory future priorities for the RISC-proof approach to the blue economy in cities and regions.
- Subnational governments in charge of water and blue economy. Respondents are officials from local and regional governments. Coordination with other municipal/regional departments, specialised agencies and port authorities may be needed to respond to some questions
- OECD and non-OECD member countries
- For the purpose of this survey, in addition to coastal cities and regions, inland cities and regions whose economic activities depend on deltas, rivers and lakes are invited to respond
- Cities and regions of all sizes.
The responses, to be submitted by 16 September 2022, will provide the basis for:
- A policy paper on The Blue Economy in Cities to be presented at COP27 in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt (November 2022).
- City profiles and a discussion paper on Localising the Blue Economy to be presented at the UN 2023 Water Conference in New York, United States (March 2023).
- A synthesis report on The Blue Economy in Cities and Regions to be launched at the 10th World Water Forum in Bali, Indonesia (March 2024).