European Commission GPP Helpdesk webinar: How to procure circular, nZEB and green construction skills?
Buildings are not only one of the largest assets managed by public authorities, they also have a large carbon footprint. Construction extracts the most resources (50%) and emits the most CO2 (36%) of any sector. Using more circular and sustainable strategies in the built environment can help reduce the embodied emissions of building materials by 50%, as many EU-funded projects have shown.
However, achieving a circular built environment at scale will not happen unless the workforce acquires the relevant skills to design, construct and maintain circular buildings. Public procurement is a powerful tool that public authorities can use to stimulate demand for sustainable construction skills, such as nZEB, energy efficiency and circular skills. By embedding criteria in tenders for certain certifications, services or qualifications, public buyers can send a signal to the market and encourage the development of skills that support the transition to a more circular and greener construction sector. Procurers across Europe have started to embed skills requirements in construction project tenders.
This European Commission GPP Helpdesk webinar will analyse how public procurement can be used as a strategic tool to support the upskilling and reskilling of the construction workforce and help futureproof the European construction sector.
- Welcome and introduction from the EC GPP Helpdesk - Ivan Azevedo, Unit B.1, Directorate-General for Environment, European Commission
- Presentation of the Build Up Skills Initiative - Luca Angelino, Project Advisor, European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA), European Commission
- How to incorporate training clauses into tenders - Marion Jammet, Head of policy and advocacy, Irish Green Building Council (video)
- How the Municipality of Gabrovo is using energy efficiency training clauses in public procurement - Stanislav Andreev, Manager, EnEffect (Bulgaria)
- How to support contractors in their journey towards circular construction - Lara Pérez Dueñas, Circular Construction Coordinator, Embuild.Brussels (Belgium)
Date & time: Wednesday 27 September 2023, from 14:00 to 15:30 (CEST, Brussels time)