Coolrec makes skating medals from discarded mobile phones in cooperation with KPN and the Royal Dutch Skating Association
Coolrec, KPN and the Royal Dutch Skating Association (KNSB) have initiated a partnership to make skating medals from discarded mobile phones. The first recycled medals were used during the Dutch Allround & Sprint Championship in Thialf in 2018.
Coolrec, as part of Renewi, is an innovative recycling company which has initiated cooperation with companies to contribute to the circular economy with various recycling projects. As a circular enabler, they promote the reuse of raw materials, aiming to resolve the global issue of scarcity of raw materials, reach the climate objectives including reducing carbon emissions, and actively participate in the creation of a more sustainable world.
Main activity field
- The recycling provides gold, silver and bronze medals for the skating races that KNSB arranges.
- The mobile phones are collected from the public during major skating races in the Netherlands.
- Even the ribbons, from discarded Coolrec flags, are reused.
- Coolrec uses advanced and innovative techniques to obtain the precious metals from the phones, which are used as raw materials for the medals.
- All medals are based of copper and zinc. The gold and silver medals are electroplated with precious metal.