Finnish company Pa-Ri Materia extends the life of office furniture
The Finnish company Pa-Ri Materia gives used office furniture a second life through refurbishment and resale. The company purchases some of the furniture it recycles, while certain companies pay for their furniture to be recycled or reused.
Pa-Ri Materia is the largest company in Finland in terms of repurposed office furniture units sold. It also sells new furniture and has introduced a “hybrid furnishing” principle whereby existing furniture, repurposed articles and completely new items are combined in a coherent, cost-efficient and ecological fashion. It has been in operation since 1997, expanding to include larger areas of the country and taking up new market segments.
The company aims to become carbon-neutral and to help other companies reach their sustainability and carbon footprint goals by using second-hand furniture.
The company is now active under the name Offistore.
- In 2019, a significant amount of used furniture was used in the company's projects.
- An estimated 26 000 kg of natural resources were saved each day, amounting to approximately 9.5 million kilograms in 2019.
- CO2 emissions were reduced by 4.5 million kilograms during the year, compared to using only new furniture.
- 78% of all used furniture acquired by Pa-Ri Materia was reused.
- The company is recognised by the Finnish Customer Responsibility body as a Reliable Partner.
The above calculations were made in cooperation with Pääkaupunkiseudun Kierrätyskeskus (Capitol Recycling centre). The calculation model and methods have been externally audited (VTT & HSY).