VinylPlus®: the Voluntary Sustainable Development Programme of the European PVC industry
Launched in 2011, VinylPlus®, the renewed ten-year Voluntary Commitment to Sustainable Development of the European PVC industry, was developed through dialogue with stakeholders.
VinylPlus® approach involves the entire European PVC value chain, from resin manufacturers, additives producers and converters, in the achievement of concrete and measurable targets. It is helping creating a long-term sustainability framework and moving the European PVC industry towards a low-carbon circular economy. Through the VinylPlus® initiative, the European PVC industry aims to:
- recycle 800 000 tonnes of PVC per year by 2020, at least 900 000 tonnes by 2025 and a minimum of one million tonnes by 2030
- promote and ensure the sustainable use of additives
- improve PVC products sustainability and their contribution to a low carbon economy
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions and energy and resource consumption along the entire PVC value chain
- promote sustainability awareness and the concept of circularity along the value chain and among stakeholders.
VinylPlus® is registered as a SMART partnership on the UN Partnerships for SDGs Platform. Check the Progress Report 2019.
Main activity field
Identified challenge (s)
VinylPlus main achievements:
- Setting-up of PVC waste collection/recycling schemes: 740 kt recycled in 2018, with 1.5 million tonnes CO2 saved and 1500 jobs created
- PVC resin producers decreased energy consumption by 10% by 2018 compared to 2007-2008, and CO2 emissions by 14%
- Implementing rigorously sustainable use of additives, including the replacement of hazardous substances in PVC formulations
- Elaborating traceability and certification schemes to ensure recycled materials' and processes' quality
- Fostering collaboration in the PVC value chain and with other stakeholders
- Developing and launching the VinylPlus® Product Label – a sustainability labelling scheme for PVC products – in cooperation with BRE (Building Research Establishment) and The Natural Step.