Drive 0 webinar: Let's talk circular architecture
As the built environment is responsible for 40% of the final energy consumed in the European Union, efforts are underway to develop a more circular and sustainable approach to the architecture, engineering and construction sector. EU-level initiatives such as the H2020 DRIVE 0 project are essential to accelerate market uptake through circular solutions. The project primarily seeks to analyse and develop attractive and accessible circular strategies for the deep renovation of existing buildings, with a view to promoting the transition to a circular economy.
The “Circular Talks” series of webinars will present and promote the circular and consumer-centred business model developed by DRIVE 0. The series includes three webinars tailored to the specific target groups involved in renovating the building stock: academic researchers and students, private property owners, building managers, social housing companies and federations, architectural and engineering professionals, design firms and SMEs.
The first webinar will explore how architects can play a crucial role in this scenario by:
- incorporating circular principles into their design process
- acknowledging the DRIVE 0 circular business models (CBM), and
- implementing the CBM in their professional practice.
The webinar will also show how two of the seven DRIVE 0 demonstration buildings have been circularly renovated and how EU policies can assist architects in the circular journey. The series is coordinated by various DRIVE 0 Consortium partners: UNIBO - University of Bologna (DA – Department of Architecture and DSE – Department of Economics), in cooperation with the following organisations:
- UIPI – International Union of Property Owners
- HE – Housing Europe, and
- ACE – Architects' Council of Europe.
- 10:00 – Welcome message from the BUILD UP team
- 10:10 – Introduction to the DRIVE 0 project, by Gloria Oddo, Architect and Project Officer at the Architects' Council of Europe (ACE)
- 10:20 – DRIVE 0 Circular Business Models as a tool to assist architects in the design process, by Elettra Agliardi, Full Professor at the University of Bologna, Department of Economics (UNIBO-DSE)
- 10:35 – Presentation of circular deep renovation for the DRIVE 0 Irish pilot project and possible applications of the CBM, by Patrick Daly, Researcher and Consultant at Technological University Dublin (TU Dublin)
- 10:50 – Presentation of circular deep renovation for the DRIVE 0 Italian pilot project and possible applications of the CBM, by Cecilia Mazzoli, Assistant Professor at the University of Bologna, Department of Architecture (UNIBO-DA)
- 11:00 – Interactive session on Slido: identifying obstacles and the needs of firms/SMEs, academics and policymakers in the field of architecture and design, with a view to the uptake of circular solutions
- 11:15 – How a circular approach can speed up the uptake of the EU building stock, by Philippe Moseley, Policy Officer at the European Commission, DG GROW, Construction Unit
- 11:30 – Q&A session (moderated by BUILD UP) and final remarks (University of Bologna - UNIBO and all participants).