HISER project (H2020): Holistic innovative solutions for efficient recycling and recovery of valuable raw materials
HISER's main objective is to develop and demonstrate holistic, technological and cost-effective solutions to increase recovery rates from increasingly complex construction and demolition waste (C&DW), with due regard for circular economy principles on the value chain in the construction sector (from buildings' end of life to new buildings).
The following solutions have been proposed:
- Harmonised procedures, supplemented by a smart tool and system to ensure supply chain traceability and highly efficient sorting at source in demolition and refurbishment work
- Advanced sorting and recycling technologies with automated quality control for the production of high purity raw materials from complex C&DW
- Development of optimised construction products (such as low embodied energy cement, green concretes, bricks, gypsum plasterboard and extruded composites).
These solutions have been demonstrated in demolition projects and five case studies across Europe. The economic and environmental impact of HISER solutions have been quantified using a lifecycle approach (with lifecycle assessment / lifecycle cost analysis methodologies).
Main activity field
Identified challenge (s)
Thanks to HISER solutions, it is possible to:
- Demonstrate the methodological and technological effectiveness of the solutions all over Europe
- Lower the environmental and economic impacts of the new holistic solutions from the life cycle perspective
- Develop policies to increase C&DW recovery and recycling
- Create job opportunities.