LaverVert: recycling wood ash for an all-natural laundry detergent
LaverVert is an organic detergent whose ingredients are 100% natural, with a circular cleaning agent. It is produced with wood ash recycled from industrial pellet stoves, reviving a traditional practice of using wood ash for its ability to bind with fats in creating an all-natural soap.
Its list of ingredients is straightforward:
- water added to soluble potash (84%), obtained from ash following a percolation, maceration and filtration process;
- percarbonate (3%), to neutralise the colour of the wood lignin and thus prevent the greying of laundry;
- alcohol (2%), to stabilise the formula;
- organic sunflower oil (8%), to make the saponification reaction more effective;
- vegetable glycerine (2%), to improve the texture of the detergent;
- essential oils (1%), to add perfume to the detergent.
Main activity field
Identified challenge (s)
LaverVert has been on the market in Belgium since 2019 and is distributed locally (for instance at Yuman). The product provides Belgian consumers with a circular offer that is:
- 100% biodegradable
- without preservatives
- produced locally, sourcing the wood ash from Belgian industries relying on wood pellet stoves for heat (Recybois, groupe François, using "Class B" wood).