LaverVert: recycling wood ash for an all-natural laundry detergent
LaverVert is an organic detergent whose ingredients are 100% natural, with a circular cleaning agent. It is produced with wood ash recycled from industrial pellet stoves, reviving a traditional practice of using wood ash for its ability to bind with fats in creating an all-natural soap.
Its list of ingredients is straightforward:
- water added to soluble potash (84%), obtained from ash following a percolation, maceration and filtration process;
- percarbonate (3%), to neutralise the colour of the wood lignin and thus prevent the greying of laundry;
- alcohol (2%), to stabilise the formula;
- organic sunflower oil (8%), to make the saponification reaction more effective;
- vegetable glycerine (2%), to improve the texture of the detergent;
- essential oils (1%), to add perfume to the detergent.
LaverVert has been on the market in Belgium since 2019 and is distributed locally (for instance at Yuman). The product provides Belgian consumers with a circular offer that is:
- 100% biodegradable
- without preservatives
- produced locally, sourcing the wood ash from Belgian industries relying on wood pellet stoves for heat (Recybois, groupe François, using "Class B" wood).