Integrated waste management solutions for six main waste streams associated with households and SMEs (WEEE, plastics, PET, glass, lighting bulbs, cardboard) are now available in Romania as a pioneer development for South Eastern Europe via a private investment starting back in 2012.
Green Group Holding consists of six different brands, each addressing one production cycle dealing with individual waste streams, plus a network of collection points scattered through the whole of Romania.
The following waste re-processing capabilities are available within the holding:
- GREENTECH, specialized in recycling plastic packaging, is one of the most important companies of its kind in South-Eastern Europe, with recycling facilities in Romania (Buzau), as well as in Macedonia, Serbia, Greece and Germany. It also produces PET band out of 100% recycled PET flakes and granules.
- GREENGLASS, thanks to the latest technology based on optoelectronic sorting, provides high-purity glass cullet (purity minimum: 98%), thus being the most advanced glass recycling plant in Romania.
- GREENFIBER INTERNATIONAL is the only producer of synthetic polyester fiber and PET band in Romania and the second largest producer of polyester synthetic fiber in Europe. It produces 100% recycled PET flakes and satisfies even the most demanding requirements.
- GREENLAMP is the only recycler in Romania separating fluorescent tubes components and other (high intensity) discharge lamps; it uses a superior distiller for its in-house distillation process, which makes it possible to recover the mercury residuals from the phosphor powder.
- GREENWEEE International is the biggest integrated treatment plant for electric and electronic equipment waste (WEEE) in Romania and one of the most modern in Europe. It is the only unit in Romania and one of the few in Europe operating under WEEELABEX license for the large domestic equipment, small household appliances, cathode ray tubes and CFA workflows.
- TOTAL WASTE MANAGEMENT is in charge of waste collection and logistics.
Main activity field:
Green Group Holding has recently established a public-private partnership (with the Ministry of the Environment, retailers and recyclers) to facilitate the collection and recycling of consumer waste and to reduce the amount of waste going to landfills. Adhesion to the agreement is voluntary and open to all companies and institutions.
The Sigurec brand, with its collection points - where up to ten types of recyclable waste can be disposed of - and its data management application, is one of the tangible results of the agreement, whereby a nationwide network of over 200 mobile and fixed collection points in 36 Romanian counties has already been implemented.
In collaboration with Carrefour Romania, Green Group has inaugurated the first two intelligent waste disposal SIGUREC stations in Bucharest, located in the parking of Carrefour Baneasa and Vitantis. Consumers who collect smartly through these SIGUREC systems will be rewarded with shopping vouchers valid in Carrefour.
These ongoing activities are aimed at increasing:
- the volume of primary packaging waste collected by organizations adhering to the agreement by 25%;
- the market share of reusable packaging (both primary and tertiary) by 20%.