This working paper outlines how a circular economy (CE) can help avert the climate crisis. It outlines nine calls-to-action to take to maximise CE benefits in order to help limit warming to 1.5 ̊C and avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
- Shift consumption patterns
- Stimulate product circularity from the design phase
- Incorporate circularity across clean energy value chains
- Integrate CE strategies into national climate policies and plans
- Incentivise cross-border greenhouse gas emission reductions
- Connect CE metrics with climate change impacts
- Increase transparency and comparability in modelling methodologies
- Apply systemic and context-specific impact assessment to inform decision-making
- Investigate the role of CE in climate change adaptation.