What does the circular economy (CE) mean from a territorial perspective?
This report by the ESPON CIRCTER project provides:
- a territorial definition of a CE based on resource consumption and waste generation intensities and trends across European NUTS2 regions
- a comparison with other socio-economic trends like employment dynamics and economic growth
- evaluation of the territorial factors most critical for CE transformations
- a description of the systemic mechanisms facilitating CE transitions at territorial levels
- an illustration of policy approaches and best practices supporting the transition towards a CE in various territorial contexts, and
- guidance supporting local and regional authorities in defining CE strategies.