MixMatters: Smart and flexible separation and valorisation of mixed bio-waste from the agri-food value chain
MixMatters introduces the Integrated System, a pioneering and adaptable solution for effectively valorising mixed biological waste. It consists of three key components:
- The mobile and modular Separation Unit is responsible for sorting and separating the feedstock and concentrating the recovered streams of mixed agri-food waste. Using robotics and AI, it can process various waste types on-site, eliminating the need for complex transportation.
- The Valorisation Hub, a fixed biorefinery, uses advanced technologies to process the separated streams, generating six valuable outputs. Following a cascading use approach, the entire stream is efficiently utilised.
- An advanced Decision Support system brings the entire process together. The system optimises the configuration and logistics for maximum efficiency. It can adapt to regional contexts and offers processing variability to serve diverse agri-food sectors effectively.
During the project, MixMatters will conduct three comprehensive demonstrations in Spain, two of which will be located in Valencia and one in the Almería region. Their primary aim is to separate and valorise a total of 48 tonnes of mixed biological waste.
More project information on the Circular Bio-based Europe website.
Follow MixMatters on Twitter
Main goal: to establish and showcase the MixMatters Integrated System, which separates and valorises three mixed bio-waste streams from the agri-food industry. These streams may contain impurities such as plastics, cardboard or metals.
Some specific results:
- Six high value-added outputs (powder ingredients, sugar concentrates, recombinant proteins, green fibres, bioactive compounds and plastic monomers)
- Prevention of 21 tonnes of annual CO2 emissions during the demonstration phase
- Avoid landfilling/incineration of 6.240t/y of mixed agri-food waste
- Contribution to higher acceptance of bio-based solutions among relevant actors and the general public.