SwitchMed National Action Plan Demo projects
The EU-funded SwitchMed Programme supports and connects stakeholders to scale-up social and eco innovations in the Mediterranean. It promotes inclusive growth, job creation and sustainable development by supporting policy makers, eco-innovative small and medium sized enterprises, industries, start-ups and entrepreneurs in the Southern Mediterranean countries. SwitchMed is developing demonstration activities to promote implementation of policies and actions on the ground, which effectively change patterns of consumption and production and implement circular economy measures in the priority sectors previously selected by the target countries (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia. The SCP NAPs Demo projects are based on the nationally approved action plans. These projects have also been validated by the relevant Ministry of Environment and the concerned Delegation of the European Commission in each targeted country.
Each Demo project achieved specific results:
- Giving value to downgraded dates and co-products of date production;
- Upcycling in Algeria: Making quilts while improving product design;
- Circular Economy adapted to the needs and characteristics of a Tunisian eco-tourism lodge;
- Consolidation of the commercial model and development of the capacities of an ecotourism operator in Tunisia;
- Sabra Olive Oil;
- Biodôme du Maroc;
- Building of a Composting plant for wineries in the Bekaa Valley;
- Public Procurement and plastic bag/waste management;
- Public Procurement, behavioural economics methods;
- Waste management in the tourism sector and National Solid Waste Management Training Program.